Well it’s Friday before the big holiday weekend and I know what you’re all thinking. PUMPKIN PUMPKIN PUMPKIN. Now, I won’t even begin to explain or even understand the world’s obsession with pumpkin. The cooler air replaces warm summer breezes, the leaves start to change, and suddenly pumpkin is in every damn thing from our pies to our lattes. It seems it’s more an affinity for the spices that make up so many pumpkin dishes, the nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and ginger that somehow get lumped together and renamed pumpkin spice. You all know those spices exist without pumpkin right? Whatever the reason behind it, I’m one person not wrapped up in it all. Sure, I like pumpkin but I don’t suddenly start stockpiling the things once September hits and I certainly don’t own pumpkin spice mix. In fact, last week a barista gave me a pumpkin spice latte by mistake. I almost gagged. Yes, pumpkin and the associated spices can add great flavour to many a dish both savoury and sweet but the stuff is in season all damn Fall. So calm the f down everybody because pumpkin isn’t going anywhere.
I’m stoked my mom is forgoing the usual pumpkin pie this year and making a creme brûlée cheesecake for our Sunday dinner. I say this Thanksgiving you step outside that orange box and do something different too.
C’mon, put down that pumpkin, and show Thanksgiving who’s boss.
1. Bread pudding– I don’t know who first dreamed up bread pudding but turning stale bread into cake is god damn genius. Rustic and filled with the goodness of dark chocolate, it doesn’t get any easier than this Chocolate Bread & Butter Pudding from What Katie Ate.
2. Chocolate Cake – A classic chocolate cake is always a winner for any get together but this Guiness Chocolate Cake takes it to a whole new level, a level that shouldn’t be reserved for St. Patricks Day alone. Well played Call Me Cupcake.
3. Pudding Cake – If you haven’t made this ridiculously easy, uber chocolatey mashup between cake and pudding, you’ve been missing out. I mean just one look at this Hot Fudge Pudding Cake from Not Without Salt and my chocolate craving is going into overdrive.
4. Apple Pie – Not just any old apple pie, cute personal rustic apple pies. The Vanilla Bean Blog really nailed it with these Rustic Apple Tartlets with Bourbon Whipped Cream. Yes, bourbon whipped cream.
5. Pavlova – If you really wanted to win at Thanksgiving, you could try your hand at the Best Dessert Ever, my Vanilla Bean Pavlova with Lemon Curd and Mascarpone .
And just because I love you…
6. Pumpkin Pie – Since many will be expecting the obligatory pumpkin pie anyway, might as well free up that oven with Joy the Baker’s Almost No-Bake Pumpkin Cream Pie with Maple Whipped Cream. Because jamming cream cheese into your pumpkin pie can’t be wrong.
Let’s be real. It really doesn’t matter what dessert you bring to the table as long as your friends and family are gathered around it. Happy Thanksgiving.