You know that whole eat to live not live to eat thing? I ain’t buying it. Sometimes you need some cake. And sometimes you need salad. Why can’t both be part of a healthy diet?
This is exactly what I was thinking this morning as I was searching for something nutritious but a tad more exciting than the usual oatmeal. Bacon and eggs meet salad. And by salad, I simply mean a big handful of fresh peppery arugula dressed with a good dose of citrus. If you’re looking for a heartier salad, throw in a thinly sliced red onion, some shaved fennel, a handful of halved cherry tomatoes, or sauté a bunch of mushrooms with the bacon. Go nuts. And if you really must, skip the bacon and make the dressing with a bit of olive oil instead. I won’t blame you, I’ll just eat your share.
A bowl of that so called ‘healthy’ cereal loaded with maltodextrin this and corn syrup that may be way less calories but it’s probably not going to get you to lunch like this will. And it sure as hell isn’t this delicious. Salad for breakfast, who knew. Plus, breakfast for dinner anyone?
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cups arugula
- 4 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- olive oil as needed
- Pecorino or Parmesan, shaved
- Put a shallow pot of water on to boil. Add wine. Prepare eggs by cracking into ramekins.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, adding the shallot in the last few minutes. Remove pan from heat. In the same pan, whisk in salad ingredients. Depending on how greasy your bacon is, use olive oil a teaspoon at a time until you reach a dressing like consistency.
- When the water is rapidly boiling, reduce heat to a gentle boil. Drop in eggs. Cook 3 minutes for soft, runny yolks, 4 for medium. Divide arugula between two plates, pouring dressing over. Top with poached egg and shaved Pecorino. Season with fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt.