I can’t quite pin point the moment it happened but brunch and I have long been best friends. Maybe it’s the variety at brunch where the richer dishes like eggs benny not normally seen at breakfast make their way onto the table or perhaps it’s the ability to have a burger for breakfast without judgement. Regardless, we relish those lazy Sunday mornings when we can amp up the usual oatmeal routine with something exciting.
This Sunday we really nailed it. It may look complicated but this breakfast was nothing more than a couple sweet potatoes, ground pork, a few spices, some eggs, and our trusty cast iron skillet. As you can probably tell from the blog, the skillet gets a lot of use. There’s just something about it. They last a lifetime, go from stove to oven like it ain’t no thing, and look fabulous served right to the table. Even better, other than a bowl and cutting board, there’s only one pot to wash. I’d say that’s winning at brunch right there.
Once again, like most recipes, this dish is totally adaptable. If you don’t have harissa, a hot pepper paste with roasted red peppers, serrano chiles, garlic, and other spices, simply use a teaspoon or so of your favourite hot sauce until it’s got as much kick as you like. No smoked paprika? Use whatever you have or add some smoke with chipotle powder. I happen to like the spicy sweet combo but if that’s not your thing, omit the maple syrup. You could also go ahead and use any flavour of sausage by simply removing it from its casing. We opted for ground pork from our friendly butchers at Getaway Farms’ Meat Mongers since it’s not only pastured but mad economical. If I was to price this, I’d wager it was no more than $6 for the whole skillet. That’s $3 a serving if you’re two ravenous post-cocktail eaters or $1.50 if you’re serving four. Amazing, am I right? Plus, with most of the ingredients coming from local farms, this is one breakfast we can feel good about.
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 g (just less than 1/2 lb) ground pork
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 green onions, sliced
- handul cilantro (stem and all), chopped
- First, place the sweet potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and add a few tablespoons of water. Microwave on high until you can start to put a fork through them, about 8 min.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Heat the oil in a cast iron or other oven safe skillet on medium-high. Add the onions and cook til they start to become translucent, about 5 min. Add the sweet potatoes, pork, garlic, and seasonings. Cook until the pork is cooked through and the sweet potatoes are soft, another 5 or so min. Season with salt and pepper. Crack 4 eggs on top of the skillet. Bake until the eggs are set but the yolks still soft, about 8 min.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro and green onions.